Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge opens in Disneyland in just a few hours! I was able to snag a first peek at the land during a media preview earlier today. I know so many of you are dying to get a look at every little detail, so I took a ton of photos and video to share.
Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge First Impressions
I’ll have a complete post after opening day with all the best touring strategies and tips and tricks gleaned from the land with regular guests in it (editor’s note 6/2/2019: my Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge tips and touring strategies post is now live!). For now, mostly the visuals will have to do to whet your appetite. But I won’t leave you totally hanging on the strategy pieces, since that is what I love and do best! A few quick first impressions and tips more generally:
- The attention to detail and theming is impeccable. I found myself uttering “wow” again and again. Every nook and cranny feels authentic, from the R2-D2 tracks you might spot on the ground in the land to the Batuu citizens (aka cast members) role playing. I’m not a Star Wars super-fan, but could easily see how it might bring someone who is to tears.
- It’s so immersive that I was a little disoriented leaving the land and entering the rest of Disneyland park both times. Entering Fantasyland where the whimsical music starts playing after just passing by Stormtroopers was somehow jarring. Prepare for the transition!
- There are three roles to play when riding aboard Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run – pilot, gunner, and engineer. I was able to try them all and thought the pilot role is a vastly superior experience, not only for the control you have but also for the better and more direct view out of the cockpit.
- The food in the land is innovative and unique. Much like the food in Pandora: The World of Avatar in Walt Disney World, it might be a little too boundary-pushing for some visitors, especially kids who are picky eaters. Check menus carefully before choosing where you are going to dine.
- With only one ride open thus far (the second attraction, Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, will open later this year), the land doesn’t feel entirely complete. It’s not enough for me to recommend waiting to visit until that second attraction is open, but it’s something to at least consider.
So on with the videos and photos!
Video Tour of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge
Take a walking tour of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge with me here:
And take a peek at the video I hosted for The Points Guy:
Photos of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge
All Things Millennium Falcon
Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge Food & Restaurants
Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge Stores & Merchandise
Land Details Galore
Stay tuned for more Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge content coming your way all this week!
HOT! — Save on a Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge Vacation from Get Away Today!
If you want to experience Galaxy’s Edge for yourself, I have a very limited time exclusive extra discount code available to you. Book by end of day June 1, 2019 through TwT partner Get Away Today and use my exclusive code “Tykes20” to save $20 on all 2019 vacation packages. You can combine this deal with Get Away Today’s other specials. These special currently include an awesome Adults at Kids Prices ticket deal (on 3+ day tickets), a 5th day free ticket offer, and hotel specials that include 3rd, 4th or 5th night free.
Disclosure: I was honored to attend a pre-opening media event thanks to an invitation from Disney. While I had special access that day, I did not accept Disney comps for that event. I paid for my own hotel, park ticket, airfare and other costs, some personally and some reimbursed by another outlet for which I was creating content. I also paid my own way to visit Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge on opening day, May 31, when it was first open to the public. (Check my post about truth in travel blogging for more on my mission in this regard!)
Saturday 12th of October 2019
Thank you for details, photos and discounts that other sites did not provide! I look forward to your insights on WDW's version!
Friday 31st of May 2019
This has whetted my appetite for Galaxy’s Edge...I am hyped for it to come to WDW! Thanks Leslie for sharing your inside view :)