The brand new starring attraction of Avengers Campus at Disneyland is WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure. This interactive ride gives guests Spider-Man’s Super Hero web-slinging powers as they battle Spider-Bots threatening to overrun the campus. WEB SLINGERS opened to the public June 4, 2021 when Avengers Campus threw open its gates for the first time.
But if you want to ride WEB SLINGERS, you can’t just get in a regular line. There is significant demand for this new attraction, so Disneyland is running a virtual queue instead. This queue is essentially identical to the one already in place for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance and so far, is running out just as quickly. There are certainly still some operations that may change or blanks we will fill in as time goes on, so keep checking back here for the latest!
Here’s what we know so far about how the WEB SLINGERS virtual queue works and how you can best maximize your chances to sling webs with Spidey.
Last updated: June 7, 2021.
(Trips With Tykes uses affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission if you purchase through links in this post. See our full disclosure policy linked in the menu at the bottom of this site.)
Basics for WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure
Before we get into the details of the virtual queue, let’s talk about what the ride is first so you can decide if making the effort to get a boarding group is for you. (Personally, I found it a ton of fun and was left wanting to ride again to improve my score after being able to ride it twice during the media preview.)
The ride is a mostly screen-based attraction like Toy Story Midway Mania. Similar to both Toy Story Midway Mania and Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, guests fire at objects to score points, making the ride part video game as well. Individual and team vehicle scores are tracked.
Instead of using a blaster or shooter like those other older attractions, however, you use only your hands on WEB SLINGERS! The ride has cameras and sensors that read your body movements and gestures and render them into actions on the screen. Each rider shoots spider strings of a different color so you can tell which hits and misses are yours. It’s pretty accurate and a lot of fun. I walked away with some tired arms because it’s so easy to get physically into it! (Hot tip: instead of turning your arms palm up like Spidey does to shoot webs, hold them more like you are throwing a baseball overhanded. You can move faster that way and the ride can still read your movements.)
The ride is voiced by Tom Holland. There’s a short pre-show movie where he appears as both Peter Parker and Spider-Man to explain the premise of what you are about to do. Easter Eggs abound in this scene (one of my fave theme park writers Carlye Wisel features several early discoveries on her Tik-Tok account).
Like other shooter rides at Disneyland, there is no height restriction for WEB SLINGERS. That means families with kids of all ages can ride together. Even the youngest of toddlers can make hand gestures at the screens to throw webs, so this one may be even more accessible to families with little ones.
The ride vehicles are spacious and move very smoothly from screen to screen. No flinging or major spins like Toy Story Midway Mania! Each one seats two parties of 4 in separate cabins that sit back to back.
Note that the ride is 3D, if that bothers any one in your party. The only problem I had with it was that my goggles kept fogging up due wearing a mask!
Disney also sells WEB Tech upgrades that modify the ride experience if worn on your wrist. They unlock different Super Hero powers to customize the game play. The Power Band, WEB Shooter, and Repulsor Canons are all under $30 – still a pricey upgrade but not as expensive as I’d feared.
Important Rules for the WEB SLINGERS Virtual Queue
So now that you know what the ride is all about, let’s figure out how you and your family can get on it!
Before we get into details of how to join the virtual queue, it’s important to understand a few parameters and rules that govern the Disneyland virtual queue system overall.
- Boarding groups for WEB SLINGERS are released at 7:00 am and 12 noon.
- Only guests with a confirmed Disney California Adventure (DCA) park reservation for the day may try for the 7:00 am release of boarding groups. Guests may try for this drop from any location – no need to be in or near the parks.
- Anyone with a DCA single-park per day ticket who has scanned into DCA may try for the 12 noon drop if they did not already obtain a boarding group during the 7:00 am drop.
- Anyone with a park hopper ticket who has scanned into either park for the day may ALSO try for the 12 noon drop. This means if you have a park hopper ticket but start your morning in Disneyland, you are eligible for this second drop. If you are successful, you simply hop over to DCA after 1:00 pm for an afternoon or evening ride.
- Guests are not able to hold a boarding group for both Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance and WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure at the same time. So if you get a boarding group for one attraction at the 7am drop, but can’t use that boarding group before noon, you are not eligible to try for the other attraction at noon (unless you cancel your spot in the first).
- Guests can only join the virtual queue for WEB SLINGERS once per day.
- Not everyone who wants to ride WEB SLINGERS each day can necessarily be accommodated. Boarding groups will likely run out very quickly.
- If Avengers Campus reaches capacity (which has been happening daily almost immediately so far), there will be a standby line to enter the land that forms near the main entrance just beyond Carthay Circle. If your boarding group is called for WEB SLINGERS, however, you do not need to stand in that line. You are entitled to access to the land when your boarding group is called and can stay in it even after you’ve completed your ride.
My friend and co-founder of the Disneyland with Kids Facebook group, Becca Robins, has put together an impressive flow chart to show you how to navigate both the virtual queues for Rise of the Resistance and WEB SLINGERS at once. Yes, this system is way too complicated, but this graphic hopefully will simplify it for you! (Be sure to check out Becca’s other tips for Disneyland in June 2021.)
How to Snag a Boarding Group in the Virtual Queue for WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure
So now that we know all the rules, here are the precise step-by-step details with screenshots for how get a boarding group.
Before your trip
- Make a theme park reservation: Make your Disneyland Resort theme park reservation (required for entry in 2021). If you have a single park per day ticket, you must reserve Disney California Adventure park to be eligible for the WEB SLINGERS virtual queue that day. If you have a park hopper ticket, you can reserve either park as your starting park. Only guests with DCA as their starting park, however, can try for the 7am boarding group.
- Set up the Disneyland app: Before your vacation, log in to the official Disneyland app and link everyone’s tickets in your traveling party. Turn on push notifications on your phone for the app. Make sure you update to the most recent version of the app too. (Trips with Tykes Tip: Remember to purchase your park tickets in advance from our trusted ticket partner Get Away Today, which will get you the very same tickets that Disney sells but at a discount.)
Steps for Joining the Virtual Queue During the 7 am Drop
if you want to join the virtual queue at the 7:00 am drop time, follow these additional steps:
- A few minutes before 7am, open the Disneyland App from anywhere (no need to be in or near the parks). Scroll down and look for the image that says “Request access with Virtual Queue”. (You can also get to the same place by clicking the three lines in the bottom right corner and then selecting “Virtual Queues.”)
- Click “Join Boarding Group” white button and then quickly toggle to the tab at the top right that says Disney California Adventure Park. This is where you’ll see the WEB SLINGERS option. Wait here as 7:00 am approaches.
- Right before 7:00am, pull down to refresh this page. Repeat until you see the blue “Join” button appear. Click it fast.
- You will then see the next screen to “Create Your Party.” The tickets that have valid reservations for the day that you have linked should all be pre-checked (other tickets, if you have them, will appear down below unchecked). You really don’t have any time to stop and visually confirm this screen. So as long as you see the same number of check marks as there are people in your party, click the blue “join” button (located at the bottom of the screen) again.
- Assuming you are successful and obtain a boarding group, arrive at DCA for the day.
- Wait for a push notification on your phone to tell you that you are eligible to return to the attraction and ride. You can also check the status of boarding group progress in the app. You do not need to wait in a standby line for Avengers Campus if your boarding group is called. Look for a cast member at the main entrance to the land with a sign who will let you in.
- Return to WEB SLINGERS within the 1 hour return time window given. While cast members have discretion to accommodate guests who are late because they are stuck in another queue or finishing up a meal, it’s safer to be on time, especially if the land itself is at capacity.
Steps for Joining the Virtual Queue During the 12 Noon Drop
If you want to join the virtual queue at the 12:00 noon drop time, all of the same steps apply except one very important difference you must do first. What is that? Unlike at 7:00 am where you can still be in your PJs in your hotel room, everyone in your party must first physically scan into one of the two parks. If your ticket isn’t scanned in at park entry, the virtual queue process will not be available to that ticket in the app.
Note as well that the noon boarding groups do not apply to you if you were already successful at 7am. You can’t ride twice. And they don’t apply to you if still have an unused boarding group from earlier in the morning for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance.
Advanced Tips for Hacking the WEB SLINGERS Virtual Queue
Because Disneyland has been running an essentially identical virtual queue for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, there are a number of tips we already know apply to WEB SLINGERS and are working so far for it as well. Generally speaking, being successful in obtaining a boarding group for WEB SLINGERS (as with Rise of the Resistance) will be a result of some combination of speed and luck. Here are the tips that can speed you up and improve that luck:
Practice at Home: Disney keeps changing the systems and screens ever so slightly for its virtual queues, so this gives a major advantage to frequent visitors to who know the latest layout and can move faster than everyone else in the Disneyland app. Even if you are a newbie, you can practice at home to see where the buttons are located and know what you are selecting on each screen so you can move fast. You can go all the way up to the last screen to test it out, even without having an eligible ticket. A few days before your vacation, set an alarm for yourself at 6:59am and 11:59am to quickly test things so you feel comfortable with the process.
Check If Your Device’s Clock is Accurate: Did you know that many phones aren’t properly synched up to the world clock? This can actually matter for your chances for virtual queue success. My device actually runs a tiny bit ahead of official time, which is actually perfect. By the time my eyes see the time change and I start refreshing and clicking buttons, that sliver of extra time has elapsed and I’m clicking at just the right moment. I highly recommend checking to see if you are in sync by going to time.gov on the device you will us to get a WEB SLINGERS boarding group. If your device runs behind the world clock, your best bet is to use another device to monitor the true time to make sure you click at the right time.
Use Multiple Phones: Guests with the fastest fingers are the ones who get the boarding groups. Unfortunately, the Disneyland app can run into troubles. If you have more than one smartphone in your traveling group, I recommend trying on both phones. Link all your tickets in both phones so the fastest phone will get through first and prevail.
Check Your WiFi: Speedy data is essential to being competitive for a boarding group. If you are trying from your hotel, make sure the WiFi is up to snuff (check the night before!). Disconnect and use data if it’s spotty. If you are trying from Disneyland property during the noon drop, know that Disneyland WiFi can be pretty slow. If you have reliable cell data service in Disneyland park, you might consider disconnecting from the Disneyland WiFi to speed things up.
Keep monitoring when boarding groups are running out. Now that Avengers Campus opens, we are starting to have real world reports and data on just how competitive the boarding group situation for WEB SLINGERS is. Thus far, it’s just as hard as Rise of the Resistance – running out in a split second. I’ve seen increasing reports from guests I know to be Disneyland experts needing a few tries to be successful.
After June 15 when the parks are no longer under strict state regulations, things may change again. And once the novelty of Avengers Campus dies down later in the summer, long term patterns will emerge. Will the attraction ultimately have more capacity than Rise? Will the smaller park capacity for DCA make it easier to get with fewer guests competing at 7am? Will the ride be more reliable and have fewer breakdowns allowing it to accommodate more guests than Rise? I have my suspicions about answers to all of these, but who fully knows? I’ll continue to share reports from Disney experts I trust and then will be trying for the virtual queue myself to report on the experience first hand during a Disneyland trip in mid-June.
Book More than One DCA Day. If you simply must-ride WEB SLINGERS, you can’t necessarily count on getting the reservation your first try or even first day. If you are taking a multi-day Disneyland vacation, book DCA as your starting park more than one day to give yourself more chances of success at least once with multiple tries. Park hopper tickets will also give you more bites at the apple, allowing you to try for at least the noon drop even if you start your morning in Disneyland park (as long as you don’t still have an active Rise of the Resistance boarding group at that time.
For example, on my family’s upcoming 3 day Disneyland vacation with park hopper tickets, we have reserved Disneyland as our starting park our first and third days, with DCA as our starting park our second day. This means we’ll have four chances to try for WEB SLINGERS – day 1 at noon, day 2 at 7am and noon, and day 3 at noon. If we had reserved DCA as our starting park all three days, we would have up to six chances.
Where to Book Your Disneyland Vacation
Planning a visit to Disneyland? Book your Disneyland vacation with trusted Trips with Tykes partner, Get Away Today. Get Away Today sells park tickets at a discount, helps you find great deals at both on-property and off-property hotels, and provides expert customer service from representatives who visit Disneyland all the time.
If you only need park tickets, don’t purchase direct from Disney and pay more! Book discounted Disneyland park tickets from Get Away Today here.
To take advantage of hotel and other package discounts from Get Away Today, explore and book Disneyland vacation packages here. Be sure to use code TYKES10 for $10 in additional savings.