In less than a week, my husband, 5 year old daughter, and I will be heading to Hong Kong for a short vacation. Baby C is being left behind, which is probably better for everyone. The trip will also be a great chance to spend some alone time with Little V, particularly as trips like these will be harder to do when she starts kindergarten in the fall.
With just a few more days to go, we have been in full trip-planning mode! We will only be in Hong Kong for four days and four nights, so we feel we really need to plan our days to make sure we see what we need to see. And with our daughter being a huge Disney fan, Hong Kong Disneyland is on the top of the list. We’ve heard that the park can be done in a single day, but we are likely going to visit it for a day and half to make sure we don’t miss anything.
As you can see from my other posts about Disneyland in Anaheim, we are avid Disney trip planners. We take advantage of all the tips and tricks to minimize wait times and avoid the crowds. We know all the little ins & outs of the parks, maps, shows, and dining experiences. So, going to an entirely new Disney park has my head spinning a bit.
As a result, I’ve spent a lot of time on search engines looking — in vain — for English language information about Hong Kong Disneyland that would rise to the level of detail that meets my over-planning tendencies. I was so surprised that there seems to be so little out there on the web. Much of it, like many Hong Kong guidebooks that give Disneyland a passing paragraph, is woefully outdated.
Luckily I persisted, and with a little luck after much searching, I’ve managed to cobble together the best-of-the-best English language sites for information about the Hong Kong Disneyland park. Hopefully this will help other English-speaking visitors in planning their trips as well.
Top 5 Hong Kong Disneyland planning sites
- LaJolla Mom’s Hong Kong Disneyland Review: La Jolla Mom (aka Katie) recently lived in Hong Kong with her daughter and has several posts about the Hong Kong Disneyland park. Be sure to check out related posts about character dining options and the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique. With a five year old daughter in tow, we will be doing both!
- DisBoards.com Hong Kong Disneyland Forum: Most Disney messages boards have very little coverage of the foreign Disney parks, but the DIS has the most active of the bunch for Hong Kong Disneyland. (Honorable mention: Micechat.com also has a forum page for Hong Kong Disneyland, but I didn’t find it to be quite as active.)
- Allears.net Hong Kong Trip Report: Representatives from Allears visited the park in spring 2014 after the opening of the new sections of the park and posted a comprehensive four part review.
- DisneyTouristBlog.com’s Hong Kong Disneyland Ride Guide: One of the best-of-the-best Disney bloggers, Tom Bricker, visits Hong Kong Disneyland fairly regularly and keeps his articles updated with the most important planning tips.
- Theme Park Insider’s “Planning a Trip to Hong Kong Disneyland“: A slightly less recent (fall 2013) trip planning guide from another great US-based blog that knows all the Disney parks inside out. I love that the post covers all the logistics like hotels, transportation, and more in a comprehensive fashion.
Update (5/2016): My family was able to spend nearly three days in the park on our visit not long after this post was written. We, of course, returned with some advice and tips of our own. Check out my 10 Tips and Tricks for Visiting Hong Kong Disneyland which has become one of the most read English-language guides to the park as well as all my other posts covering various aspects of Hong Kong Disneyland Resort.
For even more Hong Kong Disneyland trip planning advice, be sure to follow my dedicated Pinterest board: