Earlier this week, I offered my gift recommendations for travel gifts for the toddlers and preschoolers in your life, but what about older kids? Next up in the Trips With Tykes Holiday Gift Guide series are ideas for gifts for traveling kids ages 5-12. I own several of these products, and the others have been carefully researched and recommended to me by travelers I trust. Coming next is a gift guide for parents who travel, so be sure to come back for that in a few days. And if you need gift ideas for teens who travel, my fellow family travel blogger at Stuffed Suitcase has some ideas for that!
(Trips With Tykes uses affiliate links. See our full disclosure policy here.)
Gift Ideas For Older Traveling Kids
- Bubble Bum Inflatable Car Booster: It is so freeing for parents when their traveling tykes graduate from car seats – less luggage to haul! But kids need to be in boosters for several years after that, so a portable booster is a necessity. We have used this inflatable booster with our daughter on numerous trips. It is small enough when deflated to fit in checked or carry-on luggage and can be used for kids ages 4-11 (40-100 lbs)
- Fodor’s Kids City Guides: Travel guides written for kids! Available in current versions for Paris, Washington DC, New York City, London, but you can also locate some earlier editions for cities like Boston, San Francisco, Toronto, Montreal, Rome, Seattle, and Atlanta. If you are headed to any of these destinations in the next year, the guides are a great way to get your child reading, excited about your destination, and a part of the trip planning process.
- Little Passports World Edition: Little Passports’ subscription service for ages 5-10 is a great way to expose the traveling child in your life to a variety of different countries.
- Kidz Gear Headphones: Available in multiple colors, these child-sized headphones are an essential item for air travel. They are reasonably priced at about $22, and ours have held up through much use and abuse for nearly 4 years.
- LeapFrog LeapPad3: If you are looking for a tablet for your kids that won’t completely blow your budget, the LeapPad3 is the best-reviewed product on the market for the price (currently $89). Recommended for ages 3-9, the LeapPad has a variety of games and learning apps (10 are included, and others are available for purchase).
- Hasbro Travel Trouble Game: One of my favorite things to do on family trips when I was a child was play travel versions of classic board games like Trouble. Luckily, those games are all still around years later for our kids to enjoy.
- Scratch off Travel Map: Let your kids track their travels and learn some geography in the process with a travel map for their rooms. Scratch off each country as your family travels take you there. If your family’s travels are mostly in the U.S., check out the United States version instead.
- Vacation Fun Mad Libs: A perfect inexpensive stocking stuffer for kids who like to travel. Also available in a road trip version.
Three Educational Gifts for Little Travelers - Trips With Tykes
Sunday 10th of April 2016
[…] a mom of two little frequent flyers, I’m always on the lookout for inspired and educational travel-related gifts for kids. With my daughter’s birthday coming up next week, I’ve been scouring the internet for […]
20 Stocking Stuffers for Traveling Kids - Trips With Tykes
Monday 23rd of November 2015
[…] ideas, don’t miss last year’s three gift guides for traveling toddlers/preschoolers, older kids, and parents. […]
Simplify Your Mom Game: Shop The Best 2014 Holiday Gift Guide on the Planet. - dude mom
Friday 12th of December 2014
[…] Gifts for Adults Who Like to Travel, by Random Cool Kid and Globetrotting Kids Gifts, by Trips with Tykes. Even if your little person only takes weekend trips to Grandma’s house, a […]
Holiday Gift Guide: Gift Ideas for Traveling Toddlers & Preschoolers - Trips With Tykes
Tuesday 9th of December 2014
[…] next week (before Thanksgiving and Black Friday), so come back to check for more soon. Next up: Gift Ideas for Traveling Kids, followed by Gift Ideas for Traveling […]
Holiday Gift Guide: Gift Ideas for Traveling Parents - Trips With Tykes
Monday 1st of December 2014
[…] that the traveling toddlers and older kids on your holiday gift list have been covered, it’s time to turn to their traveling parents. […]