Sometimes the grownups just need a night to themselves, even at Disney. My husband and I have created a tradition of having a couples night out at the Blue Bayou Restaurant every time we visit Disneyland. Our tradition dates back many years before we had kids, but we appreciate it all the more now that we regularly visit Disneyland with little ones in tow.
What makes Blue Bayou a worthy dining experience? Its ambiance and food make it one of the very best spots for a date night in Disneyland. Here’s what you need to know about Blue Bayou before you go and why it should be on the top of your date night list (just in time for Valentine’s Day!).
Last updated: February 2022.
(Trips With Tykes uses affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission if you purchase through links in this post. See our full disclosure policy linked in the menu at the bottom of this site.)
Blue Bayou Location
Blue Bayou Restaurant is located in Disneyland park in New Orleans Square. There is no Orlando equivalent, so don’t go looking for it at Walt Disney World. (There are versions of the Blue Bayou in Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyland Paris if you happen to find yourself in a foreign Disney park though!).
The Blue Bayou’s location is in an alley just beyond the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. In fact, the ride itself is integrated into the Blue Bayou dining experience which is what makes the restaurant so special in my opinion.
The Blue Bayou is entirely inside, but it is made to look like you are dining outside at night by candlelight on a Southern veranda overlooking the water. As you dine at Blue Bayou, you’ll notice boats cruising by on the waterway – those are the boats just leaving the Pirates loading area dock and setting sail for the first drop of the ride. The ambiance of al fresco dining (that is also climate-controlled even on the hottest of Southern California days!) makes the dining experience memorable.
The Food at Blue Bayou
Being located in New Orleans Square, the Blue Bayou’s food is – of course – Cajun inspired. You can find jambalaya and gumbo on the menu and lots of spices in some of the choices. There are some more traditional American dishes as well, such as a filet mignon.
I usually opt for the jambalaya or a fish choice as my entree and have always found the food quite delicious over years and years of dining there. Is the food going to rival what you can find at the hottest restaurants in the New Orleans scene? Of course not. It is, however, authentic and delicious enough to make this Southern girl nostalgic for home every time I dine.
Is the value solid? Definitely. The portions have gotten smaller in recent years but are still more than generous. That said, the Blue Bayou is definitely not a budget dining location – it’s meant to be a date night splurge. Dinner entrees range from $29-$52. Lunch entrees are a bit cheaper at $29-$43. While the restaurant used to include an appetizer in the overall price in years past, now starters are priced separately.
The only downside to Blue Bayou for many years was that there were no date night cocktails to be had. We made do for years with Blue Bayou’s “mocktails” to set the date night scene, including a mint julep with a glowing ice cube. But as of summer 2021, Blue Bayou now has alcohol! The choices are limited to several wines, two beer selections, and a hurricane cocktail so it’s not a full bar but it’s a start.
How to Make Blue Bayou Reservations
At Disneyland, dining reservations may be made up to 60 days in advance, so it isn’t quite the level of pre-planning craziness at Walt Disney World (which takes reservations 180 days out). Unlike Walt Disney World, reservations for the very best restaurants aren’t all gone within minutes either. That said, if you want to dine at Blue Bayou during a holiday or very busy period, you absolutely need to plan ahead. It isn’t the toughest reservation at Disneyland to get, but it is one of the toughest few. (Editor’s Note February 2022: it’s currently very challenging to get a reservation at Blue Bayou. Try exactly at 60 days in advance at 3:00amPT when reservations usually open or sign up for a service like MouseDining to help snag a table when others cancel.)
Just for illustration’s sake, I ran a few searches to try to find availability during the next 60 days. I searched nearly 2 months out for options on a Saturday night during Easter and spring break week and there were still tables galore during peak 6:00-7:00 pm dinner hour. For Saturday night over President’s Day weekend just over a week from now, however, the restaurant is already booked solid. For a Saturday night three weeks from now, there are still a few tables if you can dine later in the evening (post-8pm).
If you can’t get a Blue Bayou reservation, all hope is not lost. Be sure to check the website about 24 hours in advance, as Disney assesses a $10 cancellation penalty at the 24 hour mark and many reservation holders will cancel just before that window begins. If that doesn’t yield any choices, head over to the Blue Bayou as the restaurant opens (usually 11:30 am) to see if there are any extra tables that have opened up. (Editor’s Note February 2022: Disney now offers a mobile wait list in the Disneyland app that can help you snag a same day table. Check early and often!) Being willing to dine very early or very late will serve you well – I’ve often had no issue getting a last-minute table on a Friday or Saturday night if I come later than 9 pm. Of course, that doesn’t work with kids, but it works just fine for a couple’s night out!
Tips & Fun Facts for the Best Blue Bayou Experience
- If you are looking for a quieter dining experience with fewer kids, go later. Very few families take babies or toddlers to Blue Bayou at dinner time just because of the expense, so you’ll usually only find older and well-behaved kids here anyway. But if you want to really get a break from (all) the kids, 8 pm or later is your best bet.
- Even with reservations, you will likely have to wait 10-15 minutes for a table. Disney books reservations tightly together at Blue Bayou, so tables are never empty but that means you have to wait if guests before you linger over dinner.
- For the ultimate romantic dining experience, ask for a seat on the rail overlooking the Pirates boats cruising by. The wait will definitely be longer for these premium seats, so plan accordingly!
- Blue Bayou is right next to the famously secretive private Club 33 – another spot that is an amazing date night experience (if you know a member who can get you a reservation). In fact, the doors used to be right next to each other before Club 33 underwent an extensive renovation a few years ago.
Where to Book Your Disneyland Vacation & Save Money!
Save big on your Disneyland vacation with trusted Trips with Tykes partner, Get Away Today. Get Away Today sells park tickets at a discount, helps you find great deals at both on-property and off-property hotels, and provides expert customer service from representatives who visit Disneyland all the time.
For park tickets, don’t purchase direct from Disney and pay more! Book discounted Disneyland park tickets from Get Away Today here. Tickets purchased now are valid through January 12, 2025. Both park hopper and single park per day tickets are available, as well as tickets that include Genie+.
To take advantage of hotel and other package discounts from Get Away Today, explore and book Disneyland vacation packages here. Be sure to use code TYKES10 for $10 in additional savings.
Current Get Away Today Specials & Deals:
- Adults at Kids Prices Black Friday Special!: From November 20-29, 2023 purchase adult tickets of 3 days or longer and get them at the regular kids prices.
- Kids Special Ticket Offer!: For visits from January 8-March 10, 2024, kids ages 3-9 can visit for as low as $50 per day! Deal valid on 1, 2, or 3 day tickets (note: Get Away Today sells multi-day tickets only). Genie+ and/or park hopper option is available as well. No blockout dates but use is subject to theme park reservation availability.
- Extra Day Free Tickets: Get 5 days at Disneyland for the price of 4 with this extra day free special for longer vacations.
- 3rd or 4th Night Free: available at select Anaheim area hotels exclusively through Get Away Today bookings (can be combined with all ticket discounts).