Happy Friday! Anyone have kids starting school next week? Our daughter starts kindergarten on August 25, so we have one more week to do some final summer family travels. If you are lucky enough to still be planning that final getaway, here are some good posts about family travel from this past week to inspire and inform:
- Scheduling Family Travel Around School: Trips by Lance has a post this week about the challenges of traveling and school schedules. He offers a few tips for still finding cheap(er) options that work with the school calendar. Since our first child is just starting “real” school in 10 days, this post was very timely for my family!
- Bad Travel Days with Kids: My TravelingMom friend Sarah at Solo Mom Takes Flight is currently on a road trip with her kids from Toronto to Texas and back. She’s been having a great time, but finally hit a wall and had a bad travel day last week. Here, she offers some excellent tips for handling those not-so-great travel days with kids that we’ve all had.
- Amenity Kit Repurposing for Parents: As the Joe Flies from Saverocity shares a great tip for reusing those spiffy amenity kits you get when you are lucky enough to travel in business or first class. Add a diaper or two and some wipes and turn them into emergency diaper bags to stash in your car!
- Hawaii Vacation: 6 people + 9 airplane flights = $0 + tax: The American Travel Project (now at Saverocity as well – they are snagging all the good bloggers!) shares how she traveled with her family of 6 to Hawaii with just the help of miles & points.
- Back to School Shopping Strategies for Points and Miles: The Points Guy has a post this week all about shopping portals and where there are some good values on back to school purchases at the moment.
- 8 Road Trip Ideas: Allison at All for the Boys (who I had a chance to meet at BlogHer – she’s wonderful) shares 8 great entertainment options for your kids on your next road trip. Here’s a sneak peek – not one of them involves an iPad!