Happy Friday! Thanks for bearing with my while the blog has been a bit quiet for a short while. I never take breaks for very long though, so expect some new post soon.
In any event, I have some catching up to do this week in this blog roundup since I skipped the last two Fridays. So, I’m featuring three weeks of excellent family travel stories today. Keeping up with all the family travel blogs weekly is a bit of a challenge, so you’ll probably see this post only once or twice a month going forward. But I tweet a lot of good family travel articles as I find them, so follow me on Twitter for the latest and most current updates.
Here are the best of the best family travel articles from the past few weeks:
General Travel Tips
- 50 Ways to Save Money On Your Vacation: Traveling Mom writer Margalit (founder of the Austistic Globetrotting blog) shares an impressively comprehensive list of money-saving travel strategies for all stages and types of travel. This is a great checklist to consult when thinking about your next trip and all the places you should be saving money.
- Why Rent Baby Equipment for Your Vacation: Kids on a Plane offers an underutilized travel tip for traveling parents who need a lot of gear on a vacation – rent!
Airlines & Air Travel
- Should the FAA Force Parents to Buy Seats for Babies and Toddlers?: Travels with Baby highlights an excellent debate on the risks and benefits of lap children in this post. She details the very real logistical hurdles standing in the way of implementing a policy requiring seats for infants and toddlers.
- 5 Things You Should Know About Southwest Rapid Rewards: Travel is Free gives some love (LUV?) to one of my favorite airlines, Southwest. Nice to see the details of Rapid Rewards and Southwest’s unique policies broken down by one of the major miles and points bloggers. Too many of them overlook Southwest, and I think it is a great airline for family travel. (Want to know more about Southwest for family travel? Check out my complete guide to flying Southwest with kids).
- 4 Germiest Places on an Airplane & in an Airport: Traveling Mom writer Cindy Richards has a fascinating (if slightly cringe-inducing) post about the nastiness of air travel. Now you know why I pack Wet Wipes and use them liberally!
- Why Jet Blue Kicks All the Other Airline’s A@#$s: Luxury Travel Mom makes a compelling case for JetBlue as the best domestic carrier. JetBlue rates high on my list of best airlines for family travel as well, but I knock it down a few pegs for not having great nationwide coverage. Those in the Northeast and Florida definitely have more choices on the airline than I do in California.
Odds & Ends
- Solo Road Trip Across America with 2 Kids: My fellow Traveling Mom Sarah (who writes Solo Mom Takes Flight) took an epic roadtrip from Toronto to Texas this summer with her two young kids. Here, she shares her planning tips and lessons learned.
- Confessions of a Family Travel Blogger: TravelMamas provides a little insight into the life of someone who does what I do, but actually does it full-time as a career. This is a cute and funny post with some universal truths about travel blogging.
Note: Every Friday, I share the best-of-the-best family travel news stories and blog posts that have been published during that week. Featured posts are usually consistent with the theme of my blog – the logistics of travel with young kids. If you have a post that you think would be a good fit, please email me or tweet me!